Re: Switching to Git?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Switching to Git?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:09:47 -0400

[I've been using CVS since 1994 and have seen more VC systems come and
go than I can remember.  So I'm predisposed to be cranky about
switching.]

My quick reaction is that this would be be good overall.  While the
benefits are probably significant, switching makes it harder for people
to follow along.  I say this because of my experience with guile-gnome -
they have changed revision control systems several times and I have had
trouble with each one.  I no longer track guile-gnome HEAD - just update
pkgsrc to releases and then complain when the latest release doesn't
work with the latest release of some dependency.

The more serious problem with guile is a lack of focus on timely, stable
releases usable by people who want to integrate it.  Plus backwards
compatibility so that people that do integrated it have very little
grief, and the current slib mess.

I wonder if the 'decentralized development' notion is really consistent
with the "papers, please" demand of FSF.  Have "assigned" projects used
distributed CM systems?  How has that been handled?

But if the people that have assigned changes and actually hack on guile
(which isn't me) want to use git, and if it will help the cause of
better releases that can be used in confidence, then that seems fine.