Re: Switching to Git?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Switching to Git?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:23:50 +0200

Bon soir Msr Courtès !

> How about switching from CVS to Git [0]?

The advantages you list are compelling. It is especially good that
savannah supports git. I have only two points to counter: (1) git sucks
to use (but somehow many people seem to manage), and (2) git does not
work on windows.

As another poster mentioned, cogito is not where it's at.

Particularly the second point is a bit troubling.

How about switching from CVS to bzr? I ask in jest almost, but I think
it is a worthwhile option.

As an aside, in GStreamer we are going to completely punt on this
question, and switch to subversion. You get changesets, which allows
git-svn, bzr-svn, etc, which are not bad options. That could be the
correct switch for guile -- there is no downside to switching to
subversion relative to CVS.

Regards,

Andy.
--