Re: Switching to Git?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Switching to Git?
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:28:28 -0300

address@hidden escreveu:
> If there must be a switch, I'd also say that subversion is probably the best
> way to go.
> Less culture shock for long time cvs users.  Windows people aren't left out.
> Guile doesn't
> really need the massively distributed model that the Linux kernel requires.

Actually, try this for a data point:

 git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
 cd lilypond; gitk

what you will see is the history of LilyPond, which is not massively distributed
by any standard. If you press page down a couple of time, you will see
'parallel'
development and merging of several topics, eg.

 - Spacing features by Joe Neeman
 - Release fixes by me
 - translation updates by John Mandereau and helpers
 - doc updates by Graham Percival and helpers

these all happen in parallel. In particular, I am the release coordinator,
and I always make releases which are effectively branches. This means that
I can make small fixes (eg. a make dist failure) to build a release locally
and merge them back into the repository HEAD later. My releases are
not inconvenienced by large hacks that are pushed to the HEAD.