Re: The load path

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: The load path
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 22:54:16 -0600

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree. It seems to me that the only thing we need to support here
> is %load-path extension, and that we might find a neater solution by
> focussing only on that problem (as opposed to a means for executing
> arbitrary 3rd party code at startup time). Guile has important
> differences here from Emacs, so it doesn't follow that a good design
> for Emacs is also good for Guile.

One of the simlplest solutions is to load all the files in a
well-specified /etc dir in some order.  That's what Marius proposed,
and that's what Debian tends to do, both with Emacs, and with various
other things (ppp, ifup, cron, rc.?, etc.).

Paul then suggested that you might want to consider using dependencies
of some sort rather than just relying on a globally coordinated
ordering of file names.  I can see the argument in favor of that too,
though it would be less relevant if you're going to specify that these
files are only allowed to modify the %load-path.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu