Re: The load path

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: The load path
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:31:59 +0100

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> [ Andy, I discussed this with rlb on #guile, but I guess you weren't
>   there at the time.  The below is a (subjectively filtered)
>   summary.
> ]
>
> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> First off, the load path for a guile in /usr/bin/guile doesn't
>> include /usr/local.
>
> Yes.  I am not sure whether it is good to single out /usr/local, tho.
> There might be any number of directories that people could reasonable
> expect to be in the load path, such as /opt/<package>/guile for a
> Guile using <package>.
>
> We do currently support "init.scm": This file gets executed at startup
> immediately after boot-9.scm.  It is looked for in the load path.
> That file is intended for site-specific initialization such as adding
> /usr/local, /opt/<package> etc to the load path.
>
> This does not address what should be in that file _by_default_.  In
> fact, the Debian approach is to have a directory of init files that
> all get executed in order, so that different packages can cleanly
> deposit their own actions.
>
> We think we should support this directly in Guile.  What about
> executing this code at the end of boot-9.scm:

[snip]

> This will run every *.scm file in ${sysconfdir}/guile-1.x/init.d/ in
> lexicographic order.

After skimming the Debian Emacs Policy, I think there might be one
useful feature to copy: All emacsen have a /etc/emacs/site-start.d
directory in common, which is used in case there is no
/etc/<flavor>/site-start.d directory:

,----
|   This result is that .elc files will take precedence over .el files
|   in a given directory, and files in the <flavor> site-start.d
|   directory will take precedence over those in the emacs common
|   directory.
`----

This might be useful to support multiple versions of Guile on a
system, but nevertheless allowing packages that do not depend on a
specific Guile version to place their scripts into /etc/guile/init.d.

Just my 2 eurocent,
     Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

Software Patents: Where do you want to stifle inovation today?