Re: The load path

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: The load path
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 02:25:06 -0500

Rob Browning <address@hidden> wrote:
> Overall, what I wanted was a way to specify a set of actions that will
> be taken at init time, where the ordering can be easily specified,
> where actions can be added and removed easily (i.e. by adding/removing
> files), and where the local admin has a well defined way to make at
> least some adjustments if necessary.

If the init actions are limited to %load-path tweaking, then I think a
directory-of-(directories|symlinks) is sufficient.  If the init
actions can go beyond that (which will be possible if they are
represented in Scheme files), then I'm not sure I want that to affect
every one of my Guile invocations.  I'm glad my shell scripts, Perl
scripts, Python scripts, etc., aren't all forced to load some
site-wide initialization code.  Scripts know what they need, and take
care of it themselves.  Arbitrary init code is convenient for
interactive interpreters, but I'm wary of establishing it for all
invocations.

paul