Re: The load path

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: The load path
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:46:40 +0000

Rob Browning wrote:

Agreed, with the one caveat that until/unless we end up with some
better module versioning support, we may need a bit of policy, at
least within distributions that support multiple installed versions of
Guile.

Imagine there's a guile add-on module package foo.  Also imagine that
it works fine with guile-1.6 and guile-1.8, but not guile-2.0.  It
needs to be able to arrange for itself to be available via
(use-modules (foo)) in the first two cases, but not in the last.

One easy way to do that [...]
Agreed. I'd just note that versioning also has to cope with the case where an add-on package A also provides an interface that further packages {B, C, ...} may use, so there is also a requirement for handling multiple installed versions of A, and for {B, C, ...} to be able to get the version that they need.

Unfortunately, I have no idea at this point how to solve such a problem!

Regards,
Neil