Re: Systas and Guile

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: Systas and Guile
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:35:34 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Tom Lord wrote:

>        * Your descriptions of features are sometimes so vaguely stated that
>        they are impossible to discuss. For example, you have mentioned
>        "port/descriptor unification" and how it's realy great. But I don't
>        know what a descriptor is, in this context, or how it differs from a
>        port, because your definitions did not make the distinction
>        clear.
>
> A "descriptor", in this context, is simply an ordinary unix file
> descriptor, reified as a first-class Scheme object.

For some people (including me) it is helpful to look at small pieces of
example code that demonstrate the use and the benefit of certain features.
Especially in this case I would like to see some example code, since I
don't have an impression yet what Systas provides that guile doesn't.

Could you provide us with such an example for the port/descriptor
unification, please?

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann