Re: removing scm_gc_mark_conservatively()

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: removing scm_gc_mark_conservatively()
Date: 25 Sep 2001 23:01:14 +0200

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> On 22 Sep 2001, Marius Vollmer wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > I'm not sure whether we have such code, but we might.
>
> [...] In the above code, the correct solution would be to use
> scm_remember_upto_here_1(x) after the call to the gc.

Yes, the code that I've shown is broken and needs to be fixed,
ultimately.  I was talking about our current situation, were
conservative scanning of `free' cells is no longer done, but the
broken code has not been fixed.

Are you sure that no such broken use of SCM_NEWCELL exists in Guile
and in user code?  If that would be so, great!

As the real solution, I have proposed removing SCM_NEWCELL completely,
and only provide means (a function or a macro) for simultaneously
allocating and initializing a new cell.  In the deprecation period,
SCM_NEWCELL would be made safe by having it set the type slot to
scm_tc16_allocated.  Please see the "Let's throw out SCM_NEWCELL"
thread.