Re: Systas and Guile

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: Systas and Guile
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:15:43 +0200

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm asking the Guile maintainer and core developers to help with the
> following tasks:

I don't think you will get much response to this request, and here's
why (personal opinion only, I am no Guile maintainer).  I'm just
commenting on your posting because it reminds me of other Schisms
(Emacs vs. XEmacs, notably) and I think there are real non-personal
issues here.  I hope this mail explains the lack of response.  And no,
I don't have a solution either, because clearly two similar projects
such as Emacs and XEmacs would benefit from a common developper base.

>       1) Identify the interfaces upon which external projects
>          depend.

That requires feedback from the people that actually use Guile.  The
maintainers people and this list may be the wrong place to ask.

>       2) Identify those features of Guile which are missing from
>          Systas and characterize the desirability of retaining
>          them and the difficulty of porting them to Systas.

That requires people to know both Guile and Systas.  Not many will be
very familiar with both.  I imagine that *at most* people will spend a
few minutes reading the manual for the other system.  Without an itch,
without a project -- how would you summon the motivation to invest the
time and energy when you already have a working project?

>       3) Begin to formulate a higher-level, longer term plan
>          for the design and architecture of Guile.

I don't know wether such a thing exists.  This might be worth
discussion -- but perhaps it is in the archives already?

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and sweet as love.