grub-devel

Re: Where is GRUB development?

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Where is GRUB development?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 16:15:25 -0400

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:39:39PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Slightly different are the syntax changes between versions of GRUB 1.xx that
> caused even grubby to puke. The difference in syntax between 0.97 and 2 are
> monumental, unless you're a scripting nerd. If you're a regular user, the
> whole linux boot loader experience is offensive. It's extraordinarily user
> hostile.

Certainly the syntax changed as new features were added.  Grub 2 can
boot a lot more OSs than grub 0.97 could.

> Simple is pressing and holding an s key during boot to get single user mode.

Nothing prevents the user space from choosing to implement that in init.
In fact I have seen some systems have an 'interactive' startup by doing
something like that.

Single user is simply another mode of user space, and the kernel doesn't
know or care about it and neither does the boot loader.

--
Len Sorensen