grub-devel

Re: Where is GRUB development?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Where is GRUB development?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 11:43:50 -0700

Hi,

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Lennart Sorensen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Debian auto generates a grub.cfg just fine with a rescue option for each
> kernel detected which does single user mode.  It does other options too
> if you ask it to.  Pretty darn simple to use.

Well, my distro (openSuSE) generates a special entry for "rescue"
mode, too.  But it rescues me into run level 5.  "init 3" will,
indeed, drop me back to multi-user and "init 1" back to single user,
but without a reboot, various dinkleberries were an interference. (I
forget why -- perhaps a misperception.  I'm not at home right now.)

I have learned that in the grub2 menu mode, you can press "e" and all
of a sudden you can edit the command line.  It seems my request boils
down to some documentation.  In the menu code so when I'm looking at
the menu, there should be something to indicate that I can press "e"
and edit the line to include a "1" at the end of the line.  I know
that theoretically every operating system can have command line
operands that are completely different.  In practicality, however,
they are 99.99% UNIX derivatives so pressing five keys to get to
-- right?  Not at home to try….