grub-devel

Re: Where is GRUB development?

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Where is GRUB development?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 22:09:41 +0400

В Mon, 13 May 2013 13:07:14 -0400
"Lennart Sorensen" <address@hidden> пишет:

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 09:24:34AM -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:
> > I've been Googling around to no particular avail.  I have this
> > _really_ difficult problem.  I need to boot into single user mode and
> > GRUB2 has made it so difficult that I am unable to accomplish that.  I
> > am sure there are reasons for obscuring the obvious in this way, but
> > such reasons escape me.  If anyone here is still doing GRUB2
> > development, *please* consider an enhancement to the interface that
> > will make it obvious and easy to boot into run levels 1 and 3 as well
> > as 5.  Thank you.
>
> That's a kernel command line issue, and something every distribution I
> have ever used took care of automatically by creating extra grub menu
> entries with the correct arguments.

Do you suggest to create extra menu entries for every possible
combination of kernel parameters?

> Nothing to do with grub other than grub happens to do what you tell it
> in the config.

Sometimes we may need to change or augment what is in the config during
boot as one off action. Without creating configuration file.

> So grub has done nothing to make it difficult since it has never been
> a grub issue.

Let's be fair.

Editing grub2 menu entry is far more complicated than even editing plain
grub legacy menu entry. And most users have never seen even that - they
know gfxmenu that has input field for extra kernel parameters. So for
99% of *users* booting into single user was a matter of pressing "1
ENTER". Most of them are not even aware that menu entries can be edited
(because for them gfxmenu *was* grub).

For them doing anything in grub2 (even as much as forcing system into
single user) is shocking experience.