grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 EFI and multiboot.mod for use with Xen

From: Søren Grønning Iversen
Subject: Re: GRUB2 EFI and multiboot.mod for use with Xen
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:25:06 +0100

On 23/11/10 19.17, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 06:55:15PM +0100, Søren Grønning Iversen wrote:
  I have existing well functioning Xen setups that I'd like to transfer
to this Mac Pro, but the only bit that seems to block this move is the
capabilities of GRUB2-EFI concerning multiboot functionality.
Oh, are you trying to dual boot the Mac between Linux (to run xen stuff)
and Mac OS?

Yes I would like for that to be possible.
I'm very pleased with my experiences with Xen until now and I am much
more at home with Xen at the moment so it never really struck me that I
might very well look to KVM for this ... One thing that has definately
caught my attention with KVM is Red Hat's emerging oVirt management
interface. It seems to be a really slick Ruby on Rails based piece of
work and I could see that do a lot of good for me in the future, but
this is altogether a different story from the GRUB2-EFI starting point ;)
I have used grub2 on standard BIOS based PCs, and on openfirmware.
I haven't tried EFI myself, so no idea what kind of bugs to expect
with that.

I have had no issues at all with grub2 on bios based PCs (only a small issue with the Xen pv-ops dom0 kernel needing a kernel mode line to boot correctly, but I always custom compile these kernels anyhow, so that was of very minor importance ...

But I'll give grub-efi-i386 an extra shot!