grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 EFI and multiboot.mod for use with Xen

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: GRUB2 EFI and multiboot.mod for use with Xen
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:31:40 +0100

On 11/23/2010 04:54 PM, Søren Grønning Iversen wrote:
>  Hi everyone,
>
> Has anybody had any success multibooting a bootia32.efi setup with Xen
> on a Mac Pro / Xserve?
>
> I have a MacPro1,1 (dual processor dual core Xeon 2.0 GHz) booting
> nicely with bootia32.efi, but would really like to be able to
> experiment with having Xen on the same server, since I need to have at
> least 2-3 Linux installations running on that particular type of
> hardware and would much prefer using virtualization for this ...
>
> I understand that there has been some issues concerning the multiboot
> module not being built when specifying ./configure --with-platform=efi
> .... -Is this history now?
>
> It seems that Debian includes the multiboot.mod with the
> grub-efi-i386.deb, but exactly what modules does it depend on? -I have
> tried creating a GRUB2 image file with the multiboot.mod module
> included, but it never booted ...

Dependencies are tracked automatically. I recommend using grub-install
now rather than following obsolete manual instructions
Also EFI doesn't have an easily accessible VGA text, which is used by
default by xen. So you need to use serial console or boot blindly. You
may want to contact Xen about using graphical console. Also if xen makes
any BIOS calls it will crash. If xen uses ACPI or DMI you need to issue
"fakebios" command as workaround and contact XEN about using ACPI and
SMBIOS pointers from MBI.