grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 fails when booting from CD

From: Andreas Born
Subject: Re: GRUB2 fails when booting from CD
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:19:00 +0200

Am 28.09.2010 20:11, schrieb Phillip Susi:
On 9/28/2010 12:37 PM, Andreas Born wrote:
If I understood that part about hd emulation right, that would mean the
image wouldn't work on any machine? Or is it possible to switch
dynamically with one single image between hd emulation and native
el-torito?
That's true, if that were the problem the image would not work on any
machine.  If it works on other machines, then it seems to be a problem
with the bios.

Output:
grub rescue>  set
prefix=(hd111)/boot/grub/i386-pc/
root=hd111
The odd ( 111 ) hd number is a hint that the bios is broken.  Does ls
report any available drives?  Maybe it is there, but the bios did not
pass the correct number.
Yes, as I wrote in my first mail:

grub rescue>  ls
(hd0)
grub rescue>  ls (hd0)
error: unknown filesystem

Is there any way to clearly identify the BIOS as the culprit? Or maybe even a chance to implement a workardound at some point if it really is a problem with the BIOS? I guess the fact that I don't have such problems with isolinux can be explained with different use of BIOS functionality? I'm not asking because it were a serious problem for me. I'd just like to lower the probability that other users face unlike me a real problem. At least if it's possible with considerable effort.