grub-devel

RE: future of grub commands setup and install ?

From: Treutwein Bernhard
Subject: RE: future of grub commands setup and install ?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:38:01 +0200

> > I do consider setup (which itself uses install) as
> "desirable" at least.
>
> GRUB lacks filesystem write support (intentionally).
> Therefore, installing GRUB from GRUB is not possible.

but installation in MBR or PBR does not need filesystem
support

> Given that setup command can only perform part of this,
> it is unrealistic to pretend setup command is useful.

have I misunderstood the functioning of setup in Grub legacy:

It checks the availability of the files in the filesystem and
copies the necessary stuff (including the block "pointers") to
MBR or PBR. In this case it needs only read access to the file
system.

Otherwise: please give me some tutorial, what it does.

regards
--
  Bernhard