grub-devel

Re: future of grub commands setup and install ?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: future of grub commands setup and install ?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:28:17 +0200

On 09/09/10 14:14, Robert Millan wrote:
2010/9/9, Treutwein Bernhard<address@hidden>:
according to the wiki the commands install&  setup are "unecessary".

I do consider setup (which itself uses install) as "desirable" at least.
GRUB lacks filesystem write support (intentionally).  Therefore, installing
GRUB from GRUB is not possible.  Given that setup command can only
perform part of this, it is unrealistic to pretend setup command is useful.
This is why it was removed.

OTOH it should be realistic to port GRUB to any OS having GCC and decent binutils, I hope Bluebottle is included (I don't have a lot of experience with it even though it';s developped at my university). Also it would be a good idea to distribute a free kernel (e.g. linux-libre) with a small initramfs with busybox, few useless tools and GRUB. This would be esily loadable from GRUB regardless of media and will be able to perform all GRUB-related tasks except compiling.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko