grub-devel

Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:24:16 +0200

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>> Feel free to ask. But please use current versions.
>>

> The urge to upgrade might earn you a whining user.

Well, if you develop you have to use current version (IMO).
> I will backup the 31.5 kB of pre-partition space
> and the Debian partition. So hopefully i can
> always roll back.

If you do it with dd then yes.
>> http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/mac/Files/Files-2.html
>>

> The interesting part seems to begin at
>
> http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/mac/Files/Files-99.html
> (I hate that "Legacy Document" overlay)
>

>> Bad news are that it needs B* trees
>>

> Do i find that in Knuth's "The Art of
> Computer Programming" ?
> Yep. Volume 3, page 474 looks very similar.
> Brand new art of the 1970s. :))

I can't find my copy of Knuth's books. But wikipedia should be enough.
>> and isn't compatible with embedded
>> boot trick.
>>

> Because of the Master Directory Block at
> block 3 and because the Partition Map at
> block 0 is not compatible with a PC MBR ?

Actually for CD to be macppc-bootable it has to have an apple partition
map (at least all hybrid disks I've seen so far followed this
convention). It will go into 16 sector space and we can put real start
of HFS at any point we like
>> Just being sorted is mostly enough. Trouble is that HFS uses its own way
>> of sorting.
>>

> We will have to learn how to express our file
> objects as Node Records.
> And how do the tree keys map to a hierarchical
> file naming system with directories ?

I don't know yet but grub already has read-only hfs implementation. I
think it can be "upgraded" to use for creating hfs.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko