grub-devel

Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:10:10 +0200

Hi,

Vladimir:
> 1.96 is way too old. Please disregard.

Ok. I got grub-1.98.tar.gz yesterday when looking
for the current grub-mkrescue.

> Feel free to ask. But please use current versions.

The urge to upgrade might earn you a whining user.

I will backup the 31.5 kB of pre-partition space
and the Debian partition. So hopefully i can
always roll back.

> > What number of sectors/head and heads/cylinder
> 63/255 as its what is reported on most harddisks. Most modern tools will
> ignore this field altogether so putting just anything sane is enough
> [...]

Ok. I'll assume 63/255 and truncate C/H/S
shortly before 8 GB.

> http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/mac/Files/Files-2.html

The interesting part seems to begin at

http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/mac/Files/Files-99.html
(I hate that "Legacy Document" overlay)

> Bad news are that it needs B* trees

Do i find that in Knuth's "The Art of
Computer Programming" ?
Yep. Volume 3, page 474 looks very similar.
Brand new art of the 1970s. :))

> and isn't compatible with embedded
> boot trick.

Because of the Master Directory Block at
block 3 and because the Partition Map at
block 0 is not compatible with a PC MBR ?

> Just being sorted is mostly enough. Trouble is that HFS uses its own way
> of sorting.

We will have to learn how to express our file
objects as Node Records.
And how do the tree keys map to a hierarchical
file naming system with directories ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas