grub-devel

Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 22:44:47 +0200

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do i get it right that there are two
> boot files:
> - eltorito.img for CD
> - ${embed_img} for MBR style booting

Yes
> I don't see the -no-emul-boot option, though.
> Are you sure it is effectively used ?

In grub-mkisofs:
  { {"no-emul-boot", no_argument, NULL, OPTION_NO_EMUL_BOOT },
      '\0', NULL, N_("Dummy option for backward compatibility"), ONE_DASH },
  { {"eltorito-emul-floppy", no_argument, NULL,
OPTION_ELTORITO_EMUL_FLOPPY },
      '\0', NULL, N_("Enable floppy drive emulation for El Torito"),
TWO_DASHES },
So basically the default is reversed. We can add --no-emul-boot to
grub-mkrescue though
> So if there is indeed a -no-emul-boot option in
> grub-mkrescue then it seems to be mainly about
> implementing option --embedded-boot combinable
> with the El Torito option -b.

Mainly.
Although there are few other things we would like to be possible in future:
- Is it possible to declare the whole iso for hard-disk emulation for
providing emulating image for buggy BIOSes
- Is it possible to have HFS support in xorriso? It would allow merging
PPC grub-mkrescue into generic one.
> These seem to be Robert's novelties:
>
>   --modification-date         Override modification date
>      Probably ECMA-119, 8.4.27,
>      Volume Modification Date and Time
>      (BP 831 to 847 of Primary Volume Descriptor)

Yes, this is needed to know the creation date (which is use as disk
identifier in GRUB) before image is complete.
>   --protective-msdos-label    Patch a protective DOS-style label in the image
>      What is this ?
>      How does it look and at what address
>      to write it ?

This one adds a simple partition table spanning across whole image of
type 0xCD

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko