grub-devel

Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How to prepare an ISO 9660 CD for booting via GRUB ?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 22:53:22 +0200

> A first tarball is available with the necessary
> program enhancements:
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/xorriso-0.5.3.tar.gz
> For overall info see
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/xorriso_eng.html
>
> Build:
>   ./configure ; make
> Installation is not mandatory. One may use it
> by the absolute path of ./xorriso/xorriso .
> E.g.:
>   prog="/home/thomas/xorriso-0.5.3/xorriso/xorriso -as mkisofs -no-emul-boot
> -no-pad"
>
> There is still no support for option
>   --modification-date=
> and option -r is still ignored.
> (I will implement "reasonable Rock Ridge" soon.
>  Although it is an odd thing.)

I've tested and fixed few issues pointed out here earlier (missing
-no-emul-boot, bug in grub-mkrescue). Now it's enough to replace
grub-mkisofs with xorrisofs. Do you know when debian will follow? When
this version is in Debian sid I plan to remove grub-mkisofs

>>> Is it worth to sacrifice multi-session history
>>> capabilities in order to save 64 kB ?
>>>
>> Perhaps as an option, not as default.
>>

> It turned out that writing to a recognizable
> random-access file or block device brings an
> overhead of 64 kB to 126 kB.
> Normally not a problem with contemporary media.
> But if floppies are of interest ...

Unfortunately floppies are of interest. Moreover our modules put
together result in 1146880 bytes tar file. Perhaps we should use some
kind of tar.xz for floppies and not try to squeeze iso.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko