grub-devel

Re: Some ideas about new features of grub

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Some ideas about new features of grub
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 00:57:09 -0400

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 23:37 +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

> > Floppies can be supported via int 13 even if the ATA module is in use.
> > Or we can use int 40 to be extra safe.
> >
> Is int 40 a hardware interrupt? If so additional advantage of
> implementing it would be coreboot support

No, int 40 is a software interrupt.  It's the same as int 13, but only
for floppies.  It won't work without BIOS.

> >> Isn't it already the case?
> >
> > I don't see it.
> >
> I guess you need to test it with ata.mod - perhaps it works

I tested it on a system with Intel SATA controller (Dell Inspiron 1420)
and it didn't work at all.  The drive cannot be read in AHCI mode.  When
testing in compatibility SATA mode, the drive is seen correctly.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin