grub-devel

Re: Bug in gencmdlist.sh (or is it?)

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Bug in gencmdlist.sh (or is it?)
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 01:07:29 -0400

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 07:42 +0200, Duboucher Thomas wrote:

> No, it is not really urgent. As I said, I have already found a
> workaround. But based on Grub2 being a module-based project, I don't
> think an indentation-dependant parser is a good idea, nor is it robust.

I agree.

> >>  I am working now with a small script
> >> written in Lua, but it is neither efficient, nor a good idea to add Lua
> >> as a dependency.
> >
> > I don't understand how this is related.
> >

> I have replaced gencmdlist.sh by a script in Lua that does the same, and
> can handle any kind of indentation - or at least the resulting file is
> identical even if I mess the indentation; but based on how and when I
> have writen it, well, I'm not very confident ;) -.

I think an improved approach would be one of those:

1) Make gencmdlist.sh call cpp with a special macro, that would expand
into something that can be reliably extracted by sed or grep and placed
into command.lst.

2) Use a macro to write the symbol into a special linker section.
gencmdlist.sh would read it to generate command.lst at the build time.

3) Use a macro to write the symbol into a special linker section.
grub-install would run a new utility to generate command.lst from the
modules in /boot/grub.

The later is very appealing, but it would be a big change in the way we
are doing things.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin