grub-devel

Re: Some ideas about new features of grub

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Some ideas about new features of grub
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:53:13 +0800

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 5:27 AM, BandiPat<address@hidden> wrote:
> Actually Zenwalk provides os-prober as well.  The gentleman that provides
> the installer of our Grub2 uses os-prober to detect all OS's installed, so
> they may be added to the original grub.cfg.  Works very well, although not
> perfect, but we are pretty pleased with the results thus far.
>
> We also do not have to run any of the Grub2 programs after installing new
> kernels.  The developer of our installer patched Grub2 for Zenwalk, so that
> no changes were necessary after kernel updates.  He tried to offer this to
> you guys as well earlier, but got little response, so we use it for Zenwalk
> exclusively at the moment.

Hi,

IIRC, os-prober is a collection of shell script to detect os, but grub
already have them in util/grub.d. This method is based on linux, so
you need to enter linux in order to update the menu. On the other
hand, lua script generate the menu inside grub, there is no need to
enter any os.

Another problem is the drive number. It's impossible to decide bios
drive number from inside linux, so we can't insert the correct
drivemap command required to boot DOS/Windows from secondary drive.
This information must be gathered at boot time.

--
Bean