grub-devel

Re: Some ideas about new features of grub

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Some ideas about new features of grub
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 02:19:14 -0400

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 20:39 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> > With LUA, we can have a more user friendly interface. I like way rEFIt
> > works, it doesn't require configuration. At runtime, it detects os and
> > shows an icon for each of them. We can achieve similar goal using lua.
> > Of course, advanced user can write the menu manually, but for most
> > user, a smart auto-generated menu may be more appealing.
>
> But we have grub-mkconfig for that.  This is what distributions shipping
> GRUB are using.

That's what distributions shipping GRUB2 are using.  Fedora is totally
unaware of grub-mkconfig, so I have to rerun it every time I install a
new kernel.

grub-mkconfig won't pick up all filesystems, mounted and unmounted.
Processing unmounted filesystem would require a binary with GRUB
filesystem code linked into it, perhaps grub-fstest or a separate
binary.

And let's not forget about recovery disks.  That's where lua would
really shine.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin