grub-devel

Re: status grub2 port of grub-legasy map command

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: status grub2 port of grub-legasy map command
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 13:36:07 +0200

2009/5/31 Javier Martín <address@hidden>:

>> > I wonder if we can go the other way and use void for all labels without
>> > storage.  Indeed, it's too easy to misuse a char variable by forgetting
>> > the ampersand before it.
>> Not  char []
> What if someone sees the code and thinks it's truly a char array? I
> insist: you are stirring a tempest in a teapot.
You're right. It turns into discussion about apple and oranges. Let's
forget this part
> Put it that way, I agree with your change. To the scrapper with
> parse_biosdisk then!
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. Here is a patch to do it
> I think the new behaviour
It's not a new behaviour on valid inputs since biosdisk does exactly
the same transformation.
> should be mentioned in
> the drivemap --help command, though I'm too tangled up with finals to be
> of any utility right now.
Good luck with your exams

Doing some tests I discovered that freedos MBR (but not the
bootsector) relies on %dl being preserved across int 0x13. In the
patch you can see additional hassle to preserve %dx.
Another problem I discovered is that %dl (chainloader) and bootdrive
(multiboot) passed to payload is out of sync.
Does anyone has a suggestion how to do it cleanly. The problems are:
-chainloader/multiboot shouldn't depend on biosdisk if possible
-%dl should be set accordingly to mapping
-%dl should be correct even if grub2 uses its own drivers (now it's
set to nonsense)
I have some ideas on this subject but would like to hear what others think.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko