grub-devel

Re: status grub2 port of grub-legasy map command

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: status grub2 port of grub-legasy map command
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:11:35 -0400

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 08:53 +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

> > Some messages have been clarified.  In particularly, biosdisk is called
> > osdisk now, as it's what the OS sees.  I was thinking of "payload" or
> > "loadee" as more generic terms, but it can be confusing to the users.
> osdisk isn't less confusing than biosdisk. I already can see the users
> doing things like
> drivemap ata1 C:
> and asking why it fails. mapfrom and mapto are much better

Unfortunately, "to" and "from" depend on the point of view.  From the
GRUB standpoint, "drivemap hd1 hd0" remaps "from hd1 to hd0", so that
our hd1 becomes hd0 for the OS.  From the OS standpoint, the same
command remaps "from hd0 to hd1", since the calls to hd0 (or C: or hda)
are routed to hd1.

I think maybe "real disk" and "emulated disk" would be clear, but I
don't feel it would be a big improvement over "GRUB disk" and "OS disk".

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin