grub-devel

Re: [RFC] change grub_print_error to use stderr for the utils

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: [RFC] change grub_print_error to use stderr for the utils
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:39:44 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 14.08.2008, 09:07 +0200 schrieb Marco Gerards:

Honourly I want that whole topic discussed with everyone who is
subscribed here and not just with you Marco, but it's very kind that at
least you reply :)

> Well, ok.  So thus we are indeed fixing a problem in Lenny inside
> GRUB?  On IRC someone said this was *not* the case.  I am very
> confused...

Yeah sorry it is very confusing.
I want (wanted ?) to have that problem _for_ lenny fixed.

The problem (in current SVN without Bean's RAID rewrite, this won't be
in lenny anway) is:

As soon as real GRUB _sees_ one disk wich has a mdraid raid level 6 (or
e.g. 10, it's not supported either) super block then it goes to rescue
mode.

First patch from me: <address@hidden>

Problem: The messages get totally lost for the average user, i.e. even
grub-probe --vv says nothing, that RAID 6 isn't supported.

Robert suggested (address@hidden) to handle it with
grub_print_error () and grub_errno = GRUB_ERR_NONE in the raid.mod
itself.

Problem: With that way + my fprintf stderr change, it's displayed in
real GRUB once for every disk.
In grub-install /dev/sda1, where that isn't on RAID at all it's shown 6
times, I _think_ once for every grub-probe call.

Bean's raid_6.diff (address@hidden)
and my fprintf change

Problem: The message on grub-install is now shown much more then just 6
times as with mine, I think more then 20 times.

I haven't tried Bean's lastest patch with an unsupported RAID level like
10 now that he has RAID 6 implemented.
But the problem is still there.

I'd like to have that unknown RAID level message shown only once per
array not for every disk.

The `grub_print_error fprintf (stderr ..)' is probable the right first
step, but it isn't a 100% perfect fix for this.

Seems like I just have to try lastest patch from Bean, if he changed
something and then maybe complain at his topic about this.

For lenny Robert and me need a simple small patch to fix this.
Maybe it's just better to have it for lenny unfixed.