grub-devel

Re: [RFC] change grub_print_error to use stderr for the utils

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [RFC] change grub_print_error to use stderr for the utils
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 17:34:19 +0200

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 05:24:07PM +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 17.08.2008, 17:07 +0200 schrieb Robert Millan:
> > > fz:~# update-grub
> > >         error: out of disk
> > >         error: out of disk
> > >         Updating /boot/grub/grub.cfg ...
> >
> > This just means someone is reporting this error and shouldn't.  It's a bug.
> >
> Hi Robert,
>
> Marco already said on IRC before I even send the mail that the error
> shouldn't be displayed if a dmraid is detected on it.
> Maybe too complicated and the error shouldn't be shown at all.

Hiding errors is a very bad practice.  And hiding them because the output
is ugly or because something is reporting false positives is even worse
IMHO.

This "out of disk" sounds like a false positive indeed.  It's a bug,
somewhere.  Something is handling errors in a place where this particular
error shouldn't be reported.  Maybe it should handle them somewhere else,
or maybe they should be handled selectively.

> The error won't be shown on real GRUB anyway.

Why not?

> Maybe just grub-install and update-grub should be a little changed to
> supress repeating the errors that much, i.e. not on every grub-probe
> run?

That's difficult to archieve due to current design, but sounds to me as
a minor problem in comparison with what we had before.

--
Robert Millan