grub-devel

Re: grub EFI "too little memory"

From: David Holloway
Subject: Re: grub EFI "too little memory"
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:22:27 -0700

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:01 PM, David Holloway <address@hidden> wrote:
>/ Intended for Robert Millan, et. al./
>
>/ I have an Intel 1U server board that fails with the current version of grub/
>/ with the message "too little memory", as in line 312 of CVS version 1.4 of/
>/ grub2/kern/efi/mm.c/
>/ The board is described here:/
>/ http://www.intel.com/design/telecom/products/cbp/ipserver/9979/overview.htm/
>
>/ I added some debug and I think "required_pages" at line 312 has a value of/
>/ 1MB (256 pages), consistent with MIN_HEAP./
>/ mmap from the EFI shell reports just 38 pages of LoaderData and just 196/
>/ pages of LoaderCode./
>
>/ It's my intention to bone up on EFI, but I'm not there yet./
>
>/ The question: does just 38 pages of LoaderData make sense in this/
>/ implemetation? is MIN_HEAP too large or does this EFI implementation provide/
>/ too little memory to be practical?/

Hi,

I think this problem is caused by memory map. In new machine, the
memory map is quite large, the default value in mm.c is too low for
the whole map. You can change the value of

#define MEMORY_MAP_SIZE 0x1000

and retry again. For example, with my macbook, I need to set this
value to 0x4000.

Exactly on target. Then we need a more robust and permanent solution I think right?

How about asking with 0 sized buffer first knowing it will fail then asking with a rounded-up buffer the 2nd time.
I can coded it, but I can't check it in of course.