grub-devel

Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:23:05 +0200

El mar, 17-06-2008 a las 22:52 +0800, Bean escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I think memory is not a problem here, as grub2 can use upper memory:
>
> src = raw data
> dest = 0x100000
> buf = dest + kernel_size

We could do that, but since the code would execute at the very first
stages, where we still don't have a memory map, we could overwrite
something important and wreak havoc. It's unlikely, since most computers
have a wide space at 1MB with most or all of the RAM, before the ACPI
structures and the BIOS area at the end. However, we should contemplate
the possibility of things going awry and prepare to receive bug reports
about failures on esoterically nonstandard computers, such as "GRUB
triple-faults my HP Vectra 75".
Alternatively, we could first check the BDA and, if we have enough
"lower" memory for the operation, use it before venturing into post-1MB
territory.

I'm currently checking the memory requisites of LZMA decompression
depending on the -1..9 compression setting, and will report back when
finished