grub-devel

Re: partition layouts - "root"

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: partition layouts - "root"
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:37:31 +0200

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thursday 07 April 2005 02:02 am, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>> It's clear to you and I, but seeing "root=foo" "root=bar" is obviously
>> not very friendly and in general should be avoided.
>
> I understand your point. But I don't like "device", because it is too generic.

Someone suggested bootdevice on IRC.  I like that one, while is not
that generic.

> The advantage of "root" is that all GRUB Legacy users understand it.

This is really important, I think.

> One radical change would be to introduce the concept of "current working
> device" or "current working directory":
>
> grub> cd (hd0)
> grub> pwd
> (hd0)
>
> This is consistent with Bash, but users would expect that they can do "cd
> (hd0,0)/boot". Then the behavior of "ls" or TAB is inconsistent.

This should not be the case.  Not if both tab, ls, linux, etc work
from pwd.  In that case you can cd somewhere and everything you use is
in the current dir.  And there are relative (../foo) and absolute
(/foo) paths.

This is all consistent with bash.  And it should work with all
filesystems I have implemented.  I would like this approach.  You
could even parse `.', `..' and `/' in fs.c so it becomes generic and
you don't have to pass idiotic strings to the filesystems.

Thanks,
Marco