grub-devel

Re: partition layouts - "root"

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: partition layouts - "root"
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:02:50 -0500

On Apr 6, 2005, at 10:43 AM, Antoine Terrienne wrote:

Selon Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden>:

Okuji? Hmm, what about "device"?
        title foo
                set device=bar
                multiboot /kernel root=baz

I would like to avoid this:
        title foo
                set root=bar
                multiboot /kernel root=baz
... because here we are specifying two unrelated "root" variables.

The first root variable is a Grub variable but se second is a Linux kernel argument. I think changing the Grub notation just beacause it can confuse with the kernel argument is not that good. Linux uses "root" but we cannot garanteed that a another system (*BSD, L4, Mac OS, AmigaOS, etc...) will not use "device".

Agreed. However, we know right now that several OSs do this, and that by far covers the greatest number of GRUB users.

So whaterver the name we use for the Grub variables/function we cannot be sure
it will not be used by the system we boot.
I think keeping "root" is a good choice as the user is supposed to know the
arguments of the kernel he wants to boot and how to invoque it.

It's clear to you and I, but seeing "root=foo" "root=bar" is obviously not very friendly and in general should be avoided.

-Hollis