grub-devel

Re: partition layouts - "root"

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: partition layouts - "root"
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:17:11 +0200

On Thursday 07 April 2005 02:02 am, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> It's clear to you and I, but seeing "root=foo" "root=bar" is obviously
> not very friendly and in general should be avoided.

I understand your point. But I don't like "device", because it is too generic.

The advantage of "root" is that all GRUB Legacy users understand it.

One radical change would be to introduce the concept of "current working
device" or "current working directory":

grub> cd (hd0)
grub> pwd
(hd0)

This is consistent with Bash, but users would expect that they can do "cd
(hd0,0)/boot". Then the behavior of "ls" or TAB is inconsistent.

Okuji