grub-devel

Re: partition layouts - "root"

From: Antoine Terrienne
Subject: Re: partition layouts - "root"
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:43:01 +0200

Selon Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden>:

> Okuji? Hmm, what about "device"?
>       title foo
>               set device=bar
>               multiboot /kernel root=baz
>
> I would like to avoid this:
>       title foo
>               set root=bar
>               multiboot /kernel root=baz
> ... because here we are specifying two unrelated "root" variables.
>
> -Hollis

The first root variable is a Grub variable but se second is a Linux kernel
argument. I think changing the Grub notation just beacause it can confuse with
the kernel argument is not that good. Linux uses "root" but we cannot garanteed
that a another system (*BSD, L4, Mac OS, AmigaOS, etc...) will not use "device".
So whaterver the name we use for the Grub variables/function we cannot be sure
it will not be used by the system we boot.
I think keeping "root" is a good choice as the user is supposed to know the
arguments of the kernel he wants to boot and how to invoque it.

  ____
 /    \  / address@hidden
|  o o | - http://antoine.terrienne.free.fr
|   o  | \ #153026466