grub-devel

Re: Grub2 on Mac OS X

From: Brian Sammon
Subject: Re: Grub2 on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:42:36 -0500

> > Here is a patch with the modifications I made. Please tell me if some of
> > them are wrong. I hope I would help.
>
> Could you make a patch with -u? The standard diff format is too difficult for
> me.
>
> I describe what I think are not appropriate in your patch:
>
> - memalign should not be just a macro. memalign is not the same as malloc.

Antoine's post inspired me to investigate building grub2 on my OpenDarwin
system.
I have two comments so far:
1)  The memalign issue can be avoided by not building grub-emu (and possibly
doing something about grub-mkimage and grub-setup, which use util/misc.c but
probably not memalign)  On darwin-ppc, these programs will not be missed much
(by the type of geek currently using grub2), since it's relatively easy to
arrange to call grubof from OpenFirmware, and do the setup from there.  On
darwin-x86, the lack of these programs still leaves people with the option of
using a grub floppy.
2)  Perhaps you should switch from memalign to posix_memalign.  There's better
odds of convincing Apple to add posix_memalign to future releases of Darwin
than with memalign.  It appears that memalign is glibc-specific.  Does
{Free|Net|Open}BSD have memalign?  Is anyone building grub2 on any of the BSDs?