grub-devel

Re: Grub2 on Mac OS X

From: antoine terrienne
Subject: Re: Grub2 on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:20:28 +0100

Selon "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden>:

> On Monday 21 March 2005 07:55 pm, Antoine Terrienne wrote:
> > Here is a patch with the modifications I made. Please tell me if some of
> > them are wrong. I hope I would help.
>
> Could you make a patch with -u? The standard diff format is too difficult for
> me.
>
> I describe what I think are not appropriate in your patch:
>
> - memalign should not be just a macro. memalign is not the same as malloc.

memalign doesn't exist on Mac OS. malloc always returns 16 bytes aligned memory. This macro is only defined if there is no HAVE_MEMALIGN defined by the configure script. If 16 bytes alignment not enouth there is valloc that allocates on a page bondary but there is no such function as memalign.

> - The macro _MACOSX_ should not be defined. OS-specific code should be
> enabled
> in a more generic way. Take a look at the autoconf manual and the autobook
> <http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/>.
>
> - Rather than replacing argp with getopt, please include the standalone
> version of argp <http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/utils/shells/lsh/>.

You mean include it in Grub ?
Where such code should be placed in the source three ? normal/ util/ ... ? getopt is already used by grub-mkimage and available everywere so why not just using it with grub-emu ? Are there somme specific reasons ?

> - ChangeLog, please.
>
> Okuji

Ok I'll do that and send you a new patch with -u
Thank you for the comments

I have some others questions about the powerpc part of Grub2. It seems that many parts are just a copy of the i386. For exemple in the conf/powerpc-ieee1275.rmk. grub_emu_sources refer to commands/i386/pc/{reboot.c,halt.c,suspend.c} but there exist somme commands/ieee1275/{reboot.c,halt.c,suspend.c}. Is this normal ?

thank you for the answers