grub-devel

Re: device syntax

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: device syntax
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:02:27 +0000

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

>> devalias foo "/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden,0"
>> multiboot (foo,0)/boot/kernel
>
> I suspect it will be a point of confusion that a user can directly use
> "hda" (a real/OF devalias) for their first disk, but if they want to
> use their second disk they must add a devalias command to their
> menu.lst file (or in OF itself).

Why do they have to add it to the menu.lst?  You can add additional OF
devaliases using the OF command line interface.  But there is no
problem to make a temporary one either.

What Okuji described is exactly what I had in mind when I initially
started working on the PPC port.  You can use devaliases in any case,
although it would be nice if it is possible to use a full path, which
is what your patch made possible.  But if the full path conflicts with
the GRUB syntax, it just shouldn't be used...

--
Marco