grub-devel

Re: device syntax

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: device syntax
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:13:37 +0200

> Tomas Ebenlendr <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Does any 'device' in any port contain '(' or ')'? If so, I propose
> > escaping or translating to other characters.
>
> On some architecture, who knows?
>
> > The problem with comma can be solved by escaping also, or by searching
> > for last comma, followed only by digits (provided that we specify
> > partitions only by numbers).
>
> No, we don't.  AFAIK for BSD slices the following in possible:
> (hd0,4,a)

Then I propose escaping. I think that if we pass device name to
firmware/bios and if we get device name from there, we must deal with
chars '(',')' and ','. So I propose to escape these, such that grub may
ignore them in device name. We gain then consistency, instead of
arch-specific syntax.

--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik