grub-devel

Re: device syntax

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: device syntax
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:14:14 -0500

On Oct 20, 2004, at 5:13 AM, Tomas Ebenlendr wrote:

Then I propose escaping. I think that if we pass device name to
firmware/bios and if we get device name from there, we must deal with
chars '(',')' and ','. So I propose to escape these, such that grub may
ignore them in device name. We gain then consistency, instead of
arch-specific syntax.

I'm not sure cross-architectural syntax consistency is an important goal.

Open Firmware has its own way of specifying device paths, such as "scsi/sd:5,\path\to\file". Users must already be familiar with this syntax for other reasons (e.g. to boot GRUB in the first place). Directly tranferring that knowledge is important: OF paths are confusing enough without escaping characters. If the OF "boot-device" variable is "foo", being able to use unmodified "foo" in GRUB is critical for new users and convenient for experienced users.

I believe GRUB's consistency with the firmware is more important than GRUB's consistency across architectures.

-Hollis