grub-devel

Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:22:40 +0200

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 15:54, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> Well, as we've seen, JPEG is also patented.

Does it affect the usage of JPEG in GNU? If so, let RMS know it, please.

> The problem of patents is
> that there are so many and most of them are very broad. But enough
> about this. I hope that we can stop this nonsense becoming reality in
> Europe.

Only in EU. And, this war never end even in EU, until stupid patent laws
are legalized.

In US and Japan, I see no hope for now.

> I still think the 8.3 limitations for filenames is awkward.

Yes. I agree.

> Certainly
> because most people won't be using fat as their booting
> partition.

I don't agree. You think so, because you don't use embedded systems. I
know many people use FAT when they use flash memory devices such as
compact flash and DiskOnChip.

> And the files of GRUB Legacy don't fit 8.3 either.

All the essential files fit:

stage1 -> 5 + 0
stage2 -> 5 + 0
menu.lst -> 4 + 3