grub-devel

Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:44:35 +0200

At Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:22:40 +0200,
Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 June 2004 15:54, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > Well, as we've seen, JPEG is also patented.
>
> Does it affect the usage of JPEG in GNU? If so, let RMS know it, please.

I don't really know whether it's about the use or creation of
jpegs. The patent will also expire soon, probably before any
significant changes can be made.

> > The problem of patents is
> > that there are so many and most of them are very broad. But enough
> > about this. I hope that we can stop this nonsense becoming reality in
> > Europe.
>
> Only in EU. And, this war never end even in EU, until stupid patent laws
> are legalized.

The European Parliament voted against software patents last
time. There is a good chance they will do it next time too.

> In US and Japan, I see no hope for now.

Yes, although I hear that the FTC isn't that happy with the current
patent system either.

> > I still think the 8.3 limitations for filenames is awkward.
>
> Yes. I agree.
>
> > Certainly
> > because most people won't be using fat as their booting
> > partition.
>
> I don't agree. You think so, because you don't use embedded systems. I
> know many people use FAT when they use flash memory devices such as
> compact flash and DiskOnChip.

Yes, but still I don't think that we should obfuscate the module
names. Multiboot is already 9 letters, for example.

> > And the files of GRUB Legacy don't fit 8.3 either.
>
> All the essential files fit:
>
> stage1 -> 5 + 0
> stage2 -> 5 + 0
> menu.lst -> 4 + 3