grub-devel

Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:51:32 +0200

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 16:44, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> The European Parliament voted against software patents last
> time. There is a good chance they will do it next time too.

Maybe. It depends on the coming election.

> Yes, but still I don't think that we should obfuscate the module
> names. Multiboot is already 9 letters, for example.

Why are abbreviations so bad? In fact, we use "mb" as an abbreviation of
multiboot in GRUB Legacy, but there is no problem with this.

I agree that abbreviations should be avoided for ordinary users. But the
filenames of modules are not for ordinary users. They should be used
only by those who know how GRUB works more or less.

The advantage of abbreviations: GRUB is compatible with all filesystems,
including popular ones (e.g. FAT, ISO9660, MinixFS, HFS).

The disadvantage of them: Sometimes filenames do not tell you what they
are clearly.

For me, the advantage looks much more important, since the disadvantage
can be overcome with a good documentation.

> > All the essential files fit:
> >
> > stage1 -> 5 + 0
> > stage2 -> 5 + 0
> > menu.lst -> 4 + 3