grub-devel

Re: Issues in implementing VESA support

From: Shivram Khandeparker
Subject: Re: Issues in implementing VESA support
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:14:47 +0530

On Sunday 16 May 2004 01:49, Marco Gerards wrote:

> If there are no copyright issues, you can just copy them.  I am not
> sure if the person that wrote that code assigned his copyrights to the
> FSF.  If you know that, just copy it.  Otherwise Okuji can tell us.

The copyright is with the FSF (AFAIK). But the real question was
where do i put the code - in startup.S or my own .S file?

Since you mentioned assigning the copyright to FSF. How do i do that?

> It looks to me that this is a bitmap font.  Please have a look at
> `write_font' in grub2/term/i386/pc/vga.c.  Hopefully this code is
> clear to you.  I hope the plan switching code does not confuse you, I
> am not sure if you need that for VESA (or some VESA modes).

Hmmm.. looks like we are using pff coz i see this ruby script called
unifont2pff in util directory. Googling about pff did not return anything
useful. Though i did find info on unifont. I think i can figure out this
pff thing from the code, but any help would really be useful.

Il get back if i have any problems.

regdards
Shivram