grub-devel

Re: Issues in implementing VESA support

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: Issues in implementing VESA support
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 18:34:41 +0200

* Marco Gerards <address@hidden> [040515 22:19]:
> If there are no copyright issues, you can just copy them.  I am not
> sure if the person that wrote that code assigned his copyrights to the
> FSF.  If you know that, just copy it.  Otherwise Okuji can tell us.

Why would the FSF need the copyright for that piece of code? It being
GPL would be enough to make it usable in a new GPL project like grub2 is.

> > 3. If i have more than one file then should i put them in a separate
> >    driectory? If yes where (under term ) ?
>
> It should go into grub2/term/i386/pc.  It depends on how many files
> you need to descide if a new directory should be created.  I think you
> can better do what seems the best to you.  Changing this later should
> not be a problem, right?

The hardware/VESA specific code should go below i386/pc. Any code that
can generically be reused for other machines should be placed in a
generic location. Changing this later will pretty much end up in a mess.
The file hierarchy should be an illustration of the logical program
structure. Moving the structure of the code around will end up in a
similar mess as grub 0.x

   Stefan