grub-devel

Re: Issues in implementing VESA support

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Issues in implementing VESA support
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:19:56 +0200

Shivram Khandeparker <address@hidden> writes:

> hi
>
> Here are some issues i encountered in implementing a VESA console
> for grub2
>
> 1. What happened to get_vbe_controller_info and get_vbe_mode_info?
>   They dont seem to be there in grub2. Which means il have to rewrite them.
>   Which should be just a copy paste from grub legacy.. right?
>   If i do write them then where do i put theses functions. In my own files
>   or in say startup.s (like vga does) ?

If there are no copyright issues, you can just copy them.  I am not
sure if the person that wrote that code assigned his copyrights to the
FSF.  If you know that, just copy it.  Otherwise Okuji can tell us.

> 2. In my pacth i was using custom a font which was compiled into grub.
>    Since the new grub has a font manager i would like to use that instead.
>    Could somebody please provide me more info on using this font manager,
>    like the kind of font file it uses, does it use bitmap fonts . And how do
>    i access the font data once the font file is loaded.

It looks to me that this is a bitmap font.  Please have a look at
`write_font' in grub2/term/i386/pc/vga.c.  Hopefully this code is
clear to you.  I hope the plan switching code does not confuse you, I
am not sure if you need that for VESA (or some VESA modes).

> 3. If i have more than one file then should i put them in a separate
>    driectory? If yes where (under term ) ?

It should go into grub2/term/i386/pc.  It depends on how many files
you need to descide if a new directory should be created.  I think you
can better do what seems the best to you.  Changing this later should
not be a problem, right?

--
Marco