Re: Fwd: groff git HEAD not building on macOS? (was: Long text in tbl wo

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Fwd: groff git HEAD not building on macOS? (was: Long text in tbl won't wrap, maybe related to mom)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 19:27:09 +1100

Hi Kurt!

At 2021-02-10T14:03:42-0500, T. Kurt Bond wrote:
[big snip]

Thanks a lot for digging into this!  I have committed what _seems_ like
should be a fix based on your extensive description.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/commit/?id=979f3f4266151c7681a68a40d2c4913842a7271d

If any macOS users with experience building groff (or the ambition to
start) would like to try it out, please do and let us know how it works
out, here or to the bug.

I dithered a little bit (probably unnecessarily) over the angle-brackets
versus quotation marks issue.  I'm used to thinking in terms of the
following dichotomy:

* if you expect the compiler to find the header for you without a -I
  flag, use <foo.h>; and
* if you need to specify an -I flag to tell the compiler where to find
  the header, use "foo.h".

But after consulting some exegeses of ISO C standard I am less certain.
The possibility of "header files" that aren't really on-disk source
files is something I had heard of but not had to deal with in practice.
On the other hand, the notion that an autoconf-generated config.h could
possibly be such a thing is wholly unfamiliar.  But, it's what the
gnulib manual insists upon, so I went with it.

Regards,
Branden