Re: Learning troff - where to start?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: Learning troff - where to start?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 13:33:42 +1100

> I learned troff entirely from ctsr54.  It is not for nothing that
> it remains the canonical starting point for exploring groff.

I strongly second this. Newcomers should at least be comfortable changing
fonts, adjusting margins, and controlling paragraph filling/adjustment.
Then they'll move on to macros, strings, and registers. After that, the
difference between macros and requests will be obvious; Users will also
realise why macro packages are there in the first place — the Roff language
is too cumbersome for everyday document preparation.

When I first learned to use Groff, I was confused over the differences
between .Sh / .SH, .TH / .Dt, .B / \fB … "overlapping" features I assumed
were all part of the same opaque format (one designed specifically for man
page display). Now, had I started with CSTR #54 instead of man page
tutorials <https://liw.fi/manpages/>, I might've learned early on that
Troff *isn't* merely simply a backend for man(1), that man(7) and mdoc(7)
are exclusive of each other, and tbl(1) markup *wasn't* part of the Roff
language. Can you imagine how confused I was before I learned about
preprocessors?

IMHO, mastering Troff is less about knowing what each part does, and more
about where/how each part fits with everything else.