Re: Learning troff - where to start?

From: Johann Höchtl
Subject: Re: Learning troff - where to start?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 21:47:44 +0200

On 19.10.20 14:14, Johann Höchtl wrote:

On 15.10.20 16:37, Pierre-Jean Fichet wrote:
To fetch for ideas on how to do this or that, maybe can I also point
to my macros, as they'll work with neatroff too, and implement a lot
of things: https://github.com/pjfichet/utmac/

I installed utmac by downloading it and copying all .tmac - files into netaroff's tmac directory.

Then I copied para.tr and lorem.tr into the demo directory of neatroff and executed:

../neatroff/roff  -mu-fonts -mus para.tr | ../neatpost/pdf -pa4 > out.pdf

(also tried for curiosity with muh and mul)

That creates a workable pdf but produces the following error:

neatroff: failed to mount <f-001>
neatroff: failed to mount <f-000>
neatroff: failed to mount <f-001>
neatroff: failed to mount <f-000>
neatroff: failed to mount <f-001>
neatroff: failed to mount <f-000>
neatroff: failed to mount <f-001>
neatroff: failed to mount <f-000>

I suspect I have missing fonts or am I missing another utmac - macro inclusion?

Your help would be very appreciated. BTW How comes that section headings work as a forward reference? Can I move with utmac the complete TOC to the frontmatter without using psutils or the likes?

Best, Johann

Hoping that helps!
Pierre-Jean.